“Are you involved into some kind of sect??”
“I in turn need the lights of the city“
“No birth control would be sadistic towards your wife”
“How shall you earn money?”
Some responses I received in past from some righteous people after I told them about my intentions to move to the country, live there without electricity and gadgets and to create a large family.
How many people pray God to give health to them and to their close ones, but when they return home from church, they switch on the light powered by power from deadly uranium, fossil oil or harnessed river and poison water with washing liquids to wash their dishes, clothes and even their body? (footnote 1) This water then goes back to the earth or ocean from where people take it back as drink or with the food. This is just one example of many. Isn’t this hypocrisy towards the Creator of all? (footnote 2)
Imagine you are God. After all we are very much like our creator. (footnote 3) Somebody comes in front of you and prays for a good health. You give a person a good health and a good health to his brother, too. Then you see these people coming home and poisoning their water. Poisoned, they of course lose their health again. So next time they come to you and blame you for not giving them health and not answering their prayers, “Oh, God, why are you punishing me like that??” What would you do as God?
You would ignore them from that moment on, wouldn’t you?
God created this world as a garden. And he created humans as gardeners, so that we would sustain life on the planet in its diversity. (f. 4) What do we do instead? (5) We eat from the tree of knowledge, use this knowledge to create technology and replace God’s world with the one of our own creation, we cut the trees and empty mountains for resources, build cities of stones instead and pile ourselves on each other there. Imagine again yourself as a creator of a garden having his garden destroyed and something else built-in place. How would you feel? (6)
In the times of Christ there was not such a toxic life as it has been for the last hundred years. That means, we must understand, there will be nothing much about ecology in Bible. It is written however “Do not kill“. (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – Old Testament – Exodus 20:3-17). And is there a difference for God if somebody is killed by a sword or by slow poisoning resulting in cancer? We may trick ourselves in case of cancer, but God knows everyone in chain of poisoning of food, water, air, clothes, soil, building materials, even ether. And if the victim is also the last person in that chain, it is suicide then, thus also a sin. Not knowing, that deed, which seems to be good, actually is evil, is not an excuse. (7)
Waking up consciousness and returning to innocence will take years. A place to exercise freedom of imagination inspired by God is necessary, a place to feed the hungry and shelter the poor. The hardest is to convince yourself to save money for that purchase and travel. (8) People who sell their land are usually in need or in debt. In eastern europe piece of land may cost you not buying an iPad, in western europe alternative cost might be a car or even an appartement in a city. So if a person has a job, but leads a very humble lifestyle, then after some years there might be a sum big enough, and God helps just as creative employer supports his employees.
Some people might say, it’s alright to be nice towards others as a christian and keep the modern civilized life despite it being destructive, because God is great and his mercy is great – He will save everyone in the end by giving us more and more ecological technology and his angels will renew the earth. (9) Poisons don’t harm true believers, too. (16)
But one must always remember that God is our lord, not a servant. (10)
I am not writing this to accuse non-eco-christians. Border between ecological and not ecological is very uncertain. I want to stress how much earthly things are connected to heavenly things. And that christians and other religious cultures that worship the Creator God are one of my last hopes and to my opinion have the most potential towards changing the world to a less deadly by putting a comfort of a flesh aside. Please, don’t be proud and don’t hold on to current social norms of having and doing worldly things. Experiment, read, watch, search, learn and invent every possible way to make your life as simple and humble as possible and to make creation of God as more diverse and safe as possible. (11) It may be more important in relationships with God than just worshipping and giving money to the poor strangers. If you were a creator of the earth wouldn’t you love more those, who speak against you, but with their works they sustain your creation (12), than those, who worship you with songs, but in their deeds are the destroyers? (13) Please, don’t anger God. The key to the narrow gate of humble life is to consume as little as possible, not even electric cars or solar panels. (14) You have to go beyond that and seek sources of light and power within yourself. (15)
This is too little to convince a modern self-content citizen to ecology. Maybe you might find a better way. I believe that ecology could bring more meaning to modern church and christian societies, therefore more people might join and be saved both physically and spiritually.
Some other writers on this topic: http://www.christianecology.org/
Our Father who is in heaven, uphold the holiness of your name, bring in your kingdom and help us do your will on earth as it’s done on heaven, so that we would not destroy life on it, give us knowledge and understanding to grow food we need for today, forgive us pollution that we do just us we also forgive the others who poison the earth, and don’t lead us into temptation of consumption, but rescue us from evil one.
- “1. And Azâzêl taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals 〈of the earth〉 and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. 2. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjâzâ taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, Armârôs the resolving of enchantments, Barâqîjâl, (taught) astrology, Kôkabêl the constellations, Ezêqêêl the knowledge of the clouds, 〈Araqiêl the signs of the earth, Shamsiêl the signs of the sun〉, and Sariêl the course of the moon. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven . . .” (Book of Enoch 8)
- “Does the Lord want entirely burned offerings and sacrifices as much as obedience to the Lord? Listen to this: obeying is better than sacrificing, paying attention is better than fat from rams,because rebellion is as bad as the sin of divination; arrogance is like the evil of idolatry.” (English Common Bible – Old Testament – 1 Samuel 15:22-23)
- “Let us make humanity in our image to resemble us so that they may take charge of the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the livestock, all the earth, and all the crawling things on earth.” (Common English Bible, Genesis 1:26)
- “The Lord God took the human and settled him in the garden of Eden to farm it and to take care of it.” (Common English Bible – Old Testament: Genesis 2:15)
- “The woman saw that the tree was beautiful with delicious food and that the tree would provide wisdom, so she took some of its fruit and ate it, and also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.” (Genesis 3:6)
- “God remembered Babylon the great so that he gave her the wine cup of his furious anger.” (Common English Bible – New Testament – Revelation of John 16:19)
- “47 That servant who knew his master’s will but didn’t prepare for it or act on it will be beaten severely. 48 The one who didn’t know the master’s will but who did things deserving punishment will be beaten only a little.” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Luke 12:47-48)
- “You are lacking one thing. Go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor. Then you will have treasure in heaven. And come, follow me.” (Common English Bible – New testament – Mark 10:21)
- The Lord said to Raphael: “[…] And heal the earth which the angels have corrupted, and proclaim the healing of the earth, that they may heal the plague, and that all the children of men may not perish through all the secret things that the Watchers have disclosed and have taught their sons.” (Book of Enoch 10:7)
- “Then the Spirit led Jesus up into the wilderness so that the devil might tempt him. 2 After Jesus had fasted for forty days and forty nights, he was starving. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “Since you are God’s Son, command these stones to become bread.” 4 Jesus replied, “It’s written, People won’t live only by bread, but by every word spoken by God.”[Matthew 4:4 Deut 8:3] 5 After that the devil brought him into the holy city and stood him at the highest point of the temple. He said to him, 6 “Since you are God’s Son, throw yourself down; for it is written, I will command my angels concerning you, and they will take you up in their hands so that you won’t hit your foot on a stone.”(Matthew 4:6 Ps 91:11–12) 7 Jesus replied, “Again it’s written, Don’t test the Lord your God.”[Matthew 4:7 Deut 6:16]” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Matthew 4:2-7)
- “The Lord by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.” (Christian Bible – Old Testament – Proverbs 3:19)
- 28 “What do you think? A man had two sons. Now he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ 29 “‘No, I don’t want to,’ he replied. But later he changed his mind and went. 30 “The father said the same thing to the other son, who replied, ‘Yes, sir.’ But he didn’t go. 31 “Which one of these two did his father’s will?” They said, “The first one.” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Matthew 21:28-31)
- “Jesus responded by speaking again in parables: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding party for his son. 3 He sent his servants to call those invited to the wedding party. But they didn’t want to come. 4 Again he sent other servants and said to them, ‘Tell those who have been invited, “Look, the meal is all prepared. I’ve butchered the oxen and the fattened cattle. Now everything’s ready. Come to the wedding party!” ’ 5 But they paid no attention and went away—some to their fields, others to their businesses. 6 The rest of them grabbed his servants, abused them, and killed them. 7 “The king was angry. He sent his soldiers to destroy those murderers and set their city on fire. 8 Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding party is prepared, but those who were invited weren’t worthy. 9 Therefore, go to the roads on the edge of town and invite everyone you find to the wedding party.’ 10 “Then those servants went to the roads and gathered everyone they found, both evil and good. The wedding party was full of guests. 11 Now when the king came in and saw the guests, he spotted a man who wasn’t wearing wedding clothes. 12 He said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without wedding clothes?’ But he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to his servants, ‘Tie his hands and feet and throw him out into the farthest darkness. People there will be weeping and grinding their teeth.’ 14 “Many people are invited, but few people are chosen.” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Matthew 22:1-14)
- 13 “Go in through the narrow gate. The gate that leads to destruction is broad and the road wide, so many people enter through it. 14 But the gate that leads to life is narrow and the road difficult, so few people find it.” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Matthew 7:13-14)
- 19 Look, I have given you authority to crush snakes and scorpions underfoot. I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy. Nothing will harm you. 20 Nevertheless, don’t rejoice because the spirits submit to you. Rejoice instead that your names are written in heaven.” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Matthew 7:13-14)
- 17 These signs will be associated with those who believe: they will throw out demons in my name. They will speak in new languages. 18 They will pick up snakes with their hands. If they drink anything poisonous, it will not hurt them. They will place their hands on the sick, and they will get well.” (Christian Bible (Common English Bible) – New Testament – Mark 16:17-18)